Wednesday, August 13, 2008

This Mummy should have stayed buried



Recently my partner and I went to see The Mummy : Tomb of the Dragon Emperor.
The "Mummy" franchise takes a crazy turn as the action shifts to Asia for the next chapter in the adventure series. Brendan Fraser returns as explorer Rick O'Connell to combat the resurrected Han Emperor (Jet Li) in an epic that races from the catacombs of ancient China high into the frigid Himalayas. Rick joined by his wife Evelyn (this time played poorly by Maria Bello) , now grown son Alex (Luke Ford) and brother-in-law, Jonathan (John Hannah). And this time , the O'Connells must stop a mummy awoken from a 2,000 year old curse who threatens to plunge the world into his merciless, unending service.

When I went in, I had high hopes for this movie. 1) I loved the first 2 "Mummy" movies, 2) Jet Li, and I LOVE Jet Li and 3) a new mummy. But my hopes were quickly smached to bits when I sat through this movie. it just wasn't worth it. First of all Rachel Weisz doesn't return to play the wife, which after seeing the movie I can see why. Next, Jet Li. Cool guy, I love his work, but i just didn't care for him in this one. Although, I did like that every time he got really upset his face would crumble. And, what was the deal with the son now being grown? The only good things about the movie were Michelle Yeoh, who plays a great sorceress and the best scene of the movie with the Yetis. Yes, i said yetis, in a very cool scene when the sorceress Zi Juan (Yeoh) calls upon the yetis for help when battling the Emporer. Other than those highlights, this was straight pointless. If you liked the first two as i did, you will be very disappointed. Avoid this one at all costs. A 2 on my "Go See" scale and that being generous.

No comments: