Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Elegy just wasn't worth it


 

Next on the list for review is Elegy. Based on the novel "The Dying Animal" by Philip Roth, Ben Kingsley plays charismatic professor David Kepesh who glories in the pursuit of adventurous female students but never lets any woman get too close... until he meets Consuela. Penelope Cruz plays Consuela Castillo who gets Kepesh to drop his protecyive veneer with her raven-haired beauty. She captivates and unsettles him. When these two connect on a romantic level they click like none other before and then things go downhill. They break up and then reconnect again two years later when tragedy strikes. 

 Going in, I truly thought that I would like this movie 'cause trailers never lie, right? Well I was deceived this time. The story was just ok for me, but it seemed to drag along. It felt longer than it actually was, which is quite disappointing. I like Ben Kingsley and I even like Penelope Cruz (somewhat), but this one tired me out. It just went on and on with no real resolution. I couldn't really feel for the characters. I was really saddened after this movie. Not because of the story, but because I felt like I wasted my time. I'm not gonna go into great detail because I don't want to bore you, so I'll just leave it at that. A strong 2 on my "Go See" scale.

 

No comments: