Monday, October 13, 2008

Quarantine me, I'm hiding in the closet!


In Quarantine, television reporter Angela Vidal (Jennifer Carpenter) and her cameraman (Steve Harris) are assigned to spend the night shift with a Los Angeles Fire Station. After a routine 911 call takes them to a small apartment building, they find police officers already on the scene in response to blood curdling screams coming from one of the apartment units. Unbeknownst to them, a woman living in the building has contracted a rare strain of rabies. After a few of the residents are viciously attacked, they try to escape with the news crew in tow, only to find that the CDC has quarantined the building. Phones, internet, televisions and cell phone access have been cut-off, and officials are not relaying information to those locked inside.


Do I want to help my career by following the LAFD around for the night? Hell, yeah! Do I bring my best cameraman along with me in hopes of getting some good footage of the night? Absolutely! Do I learn all I can from the two firemen that I'll be tagging along with for the night and then when there is finally an emergency, do I hop on the fire engine to get to the scene? I sure do! I'm even right there when they confront the old lady that they've come to help. But, what's wrong with her face? She looks a little afraid. Oh my GOD! Did she just attack that fireman? She sure as hell did! Do I run? No...the police have got it all under control... My name is Angela Vidal (Jennifer Carpenter) and my cameraman is Scott (Steve Harris). We were sent here and assigned to tag along with firefighters Jake (Jay Hernandez) and George (Johnathon Schaech) for the night. Everything goes to hell after an old woman has a fit in her apartment and the LAFD are sent in. We see her erratic behavior firsthand as she attacks a fellow firefighter and has to be killed. Officer Wilensky (Columbus Short) is a little agitated and takes control as he insists that everyone make their way to the lobby while we figure out what's going on. Next thing we know, we're being quarantined! What the hell is this all about? I'm scared shitless as people start disappearing left and right! We come across some of the others later and they are behaving just like the old lady (foaming at the mouth and such) and have to be killed also. What are they infected with and how is it being passed around? And why have the CDC quarantined us? Once we finally get some info we find out that it could be and advanced form of rabies. With symptoms that usually take weeks and even months to appear the victims get them instantly. It's just down to me and Scott now. George fought heroically, but it wasn't enough. Wait, there is someone here with us....It got Scott!!! I'm all alone now. To whoever finds this footage, this is the truth that the police hid from you all.
Having a bit of deja vu didn't stop me from enjoying this movie one bit, but it wasn't SCARY scary. I found it FUNNY scary. I was laughing more than I cringed. The scene where the cameraman Scott attacks a lady with nothing more than his camera is priceless and has to be seen to be believed. Yeah, this is seen through the cameras view (not unlike The Blair Witch Project or the recent Cloverfield), but I STILL enjoyed this movie. Maybe because I didn't find it scary (not many these days surprise me). This is one to just enjoy, whether it'll scare you or not depends on the person, but see it. I recommend it. A scary 4 on my "Go See" scale.

No comments: